#vitaminc #abscorbicacid #vitamincmyths
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also known as L-ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in some foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement. The body cannot generate it on its own; it has to come from your diet.
Best Dietary Sources of Vitamin C:
• Red pepper, sweet, raw, ½ cup
• Orange juice, ¾ cup
• Orange, 1 medium
• Grapefruit juice, ¾ cup
• Kiwifruit, 1 medium
• Green pepper, sweet, raw, ½ cup
• Broccoli, cooked, ½ cup
• Strawberries, fresh, sliced, ½ cup
• Brussels sprouts, cooked, ½ cup
• Grapefruit, ½ medium
• Broccoli, raw, ½ cup
• Tomato juice, ¾ cup
• Cantaloupe, ½ cup
• Cabbage, cooked, ½ cup
• Cauliflower, raw, ½ cup
Symptoms of Vitamin C Deficiency:
• Tiredness. (Early)
• Swollen or bleeding gums.
• Nose bleeds
• Dry or rough skin
• Joint pain.
• Poor wound healing.
• Corkscrew hair.
Overt deficiency symptoms only occur if vitamin C intake falls below approximately 10 mg/day for many weeks.
Groups at risk of Vitamin C Inadequacy:
• Babies fed with evaporated or boiled cow’s milk
• Elderly (if malnourished)
• People with Alcohol or Drug Dependence
• End stage kidney disease or chronic haemodialysis
• Some cancer patients
Medications that interact with Vitamin C:
• Statins – healthcare provider should monitor lipid levels
• Individuals undergoing chemotherapy or radiation should consult with their oncologist prior to taking vitamin C or other antioxidant supplements, especially in high doses.
High dose Vitamin C supplement side effects:
The most common complaints are diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramps.
Other side effects include:
• kidney stones
Papers about Vitamin C:
1. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane collaboration. 31 January 2013
2. Dietary nutrient intakes and skin-aging appearance among middle-aged American women. Am J Clin Nutr 2007 Oct;86(4):1225-31.
3. Stability, transdermal penetration, and cutaneous effects of ascorbic acid and its derivatives. J Cosmet Dermatol 2012 Dec;11(4):310-7.
By: Dr. Sam Bailey
FREE email alerts of the most important BANNED videos in the world
Get FREE email alerts of the most important BANNED videos in the world that are usually blacklisted by YouTube, Facebook, Google, Twitter and Vimeo. Watch documentaries the techno-fascists don't want you to know even exist. Join the free Brighteon email newsletter. Unsubscribe at any time. 100% privacy protected.
Your privacy is protected. Subscription confirmation required.